PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bmibaby
Thread: Bmibaby
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2008, 13:18
mateyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redundancies

Hi all!!

Regarding redundancies I would be concerned if LIFO is not enforced as dspite what the EU law stipulates about age discrimination and the younger players being protected, in bmibaby this would definately not be the case. There are in fact many older people joining recently from other airlines, than pilots already in bmibaby, and it seems that all the pilots want LIFO to be the method of redundancy if necessary! The age factor is completely irrelevant to LIFO!

If not LIFO then what method would be used! Remembering now that preventing discrimination is key! I read somewhere that attendance performance may form part of the criteria in deciding who goes! This surely would not be allowed to happen with flightcrew as it would set a dangerous precedent! Pilots who are sick would struggle into work anyway, fearing that when it comes to "redundancy day", they might/would be the first to go due to a blemish on the record! Potentially, therefore, with the precedent set for all airlines, it's logical to say that somewhere some day, there will be 2 very sick pilots in the same flightdeck! This cannot be allowed to happen, so where next! Performance? How can you measure performance? LPC's, Linechecks? I can't see training records being pulled to assisst the chopping process, that would be ludicrous! And again you'd be discriminating in both the above mentioned! 1) against people who were unwell 2) against people of less experience/natural ability!

I am also concerned about how people will be selected! My biggest worries are for those who are not financially indebted to the company. i.e no training bond! Will the management decide to axe those with no bond, or bond paid, and keep those on who are still paying their money back! Thats cynical I know, and I can hardly see the company attempting that, never mind getting away with it!

I think LIFO is the only way, but if there are other alternatives, to prevent or minimise redundancies, such as pay freeze, etc, I would vote for that!

Does anyone know when the next batch of aircraft leases are due to expire, and if so when and how many? It makes me wonder if when NT said that this wouldn't be the last of the announcements, whether, in 4-6 months time when another 3-4 aircraft leases expire, whether the focus of redundancies will be at Manchester and Cardiff next tim afround!!!

Thanks