PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Awake for 20 hours? - you're good to fly !
Old 1st Dec 2008, 12:50
Romeo India Xray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are missing one of the points.

Scenario:

I live between 45mins and 60 mins from work depending on conditions. If my SBY requires me to report within 1 hour then there is not a hope in hell of me making it if I am still in bed at 5:59 and the call comes in at 06:00 to report at 07:00.

If I am SBY I have to be up, and more or less ready to go, no question. My professionalism means that I will ALWAYS be in a position where I can get to the airport within an hour of the SBY call, no exceptions.

I agree that sleep scheduling is part of the job, and I do get agitated by the pilots who consider themselves to be the only ones in the world who need sleep however crewing departments are not always as considerate as they could be. In my experience us pilots have it much better than the CC. My track record for being called in on a short notice standby is very good, for some of the CC I know it is diabolical.

Your very attitude in relation to this shows your inability to comprehend the TEM model and thus reveals potential holes in your SMS. Think about it the next time you are propping your eyelids up after having been awake for 22 hours.

RIX