PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Digital Photography Thread
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2008, 12:31
Out Of Trim

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
mixture wrote

Sorry to be pedantic, but .....

If you take a cursory glance at the Nikon catalogue, you will find the D60 being presented alongside the D40x.
To be pedantic;

Now, take a look in any Shop or On-line outlet and find a D40X.

You won't find it, as earlier stated correctly; it was replaced by the D60 using the same sensor. Any D40x stock has long since been sold.

You will find in the consumer range the D40, D60, D80 (until all stock is sold), and the D90 (The replacement for the D80).

You said earlier, it's not worth arguing over!

Agreed, I'm not here to argue; I made a valid point that you misconstrued for some reason best known to yourself. Many people after buying a new camera with kit lens; look at what other lenses they would like to own.

Quite often they go for the nice cheap Nikkor 50mm F1.8D lens that is widely available for around £79.00 and guess what, it's not AF-S!

So my reason for pointing out the AF motor issue was valid and something a potential buyer might want to know.

You appear to be on some kind of mission? Not sure why you're getting so upset about others posting their responses here.

To the OP, I think the D40 is a great introductory DSLR and I have seen some wonderful images produced by it. It is however, fairly basic just 6MP and getting a bit long in the tooth. However it's not all about the Megapixels. The D60 introduces some more features and is 10.2MP. I'm sure you would be happy with either camera.

As for lenses, the 18-55 VR is quite good I believe.
Although, I've not tried that one myself. I have the 18-70 and 16-85 VR - both are really sharp and I would recommend those. The 18-135 is pretty good but has a plastic mount, so not as sturdy. The 18-105 D90 Kit lens is also now available and seems to be good too.

The 18-200 is OK especially for travelling with only one lens say.

The 70-200 F2.8 is in another league and is pro quality. If you want more range than 200mm the 70-300 VR is probably a good option

cheers OOT.