PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gays in the RAF
Thread: Gays in the RAF
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2008, 10:19
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would agree that although "banner waving" might be a useful tactic for us poofs in the right place at the right time, there's probably little point in adopting this kind of attitude within the armed forces, as it inevitably creates even more polarisations of attitude. It is indeed a case of fitting-in, and there is no reason why a gay man (or woman) should not be regarded as just the same as any other serving member of the forces - because they are the same of course. My only concern is when some people suggest (as they have on this thread) that a gay man should be obliged to "introduce" his sexuality as if it's some sort of dark secret which can only be revealed gently, to the right people. Clearly, this kind of attitude only serves to foster the notion that being gay is either somehow wrong or even unusual, and I think it's fundamentally important that every effort is made to avoid falling into this trap.

As long as this kind of attitude is maintained (either intentionally or otherwise) there will always be problems surrounding the gay issue. The whole problem is never going to go away until we reach a stage where being gay or straight isn't even worthy of comment. I'm sure the armed forces will get to that stage eventually, and then we can forget about all this nonsense and move-on to more important matters! But suggesting that anyone should have to adjust his actions or behaviour in order for others to "tolerate" it, is quite absurd. Likewise, the I'm here and I'm queer - get used to it attitude is just as bad, as it also simply serves to suggest that being gay is somehow unusual. Either way, it's a bad idea.

Ultimately, I think the armed forces will simply adjust to the whole gay issue over time. It's inevitable that more and more openly gay people will gradually trickle into the services, and as this happens, straight people will change their perceptions until the whole issue is just too mundane to even think about. I suspect it will take quite a long time but it will happen.

Glad you liked the Vulcan book Jacko. Lightning book is slowly following-on!