PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Digital Photography Thread
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2008, 00:38
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
There are no doubt some good lenses that have easy to use rings, but I find that while DX lenses usually can be clicked to Manual, they are harder to manipulate than the fine old lenses, and I end up using tricks to use the automatics. ie pointing at a brighter scene at the same length, then holding the button till I'm on subject. I went into digital photography thinking that virtually all my work would be manual. Frankly, the auto systems are so good that I find it hard to beat them. Shots at 12" or less are the exception.

Kit lens c$50, has AF/M slider on the side.

Talking of B settings, this was still in the Bucket from JB, so easy to re-show. Taken by camera in the reflection - even though the angle doesn't look right.

I didn't want to flash at the critter.

While it wouldn't win any prizes for photography, I had no idea that it would be a 1.5 second shot. I was astonished that it didn't give more shake than it did. No anti-vibration device.

What I'm again trying to emphasize, is the importance of spending a good proportion of your budget on the lens. Same shot with the kit lens wouldn't have had any significant detail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...age00001-3.jpg

Although it's an expensive item, I tried out the the hi-selling 18-200 $700 inside Worst Buy. I'll post comparison pix when I get a moment.