PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF52
Thread: QF52
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2008, 20:30
blueloo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FROM ABC Website: (I tried searching for QANTAS 52 and screaming kids or on time departures but apparently the press aren't interested..... )

Qantas plane lands after steering fault

Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:25am AEDT
Updated Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:53am AEDT

Emergency landing: Qantas says the problem occurred in the plane's landing gear (ABC News: Giulio Saggin, file photo)

Map: Brisbane 4000
A Qantas international flight has touched down without incident at the Brisbane Airport despite problems with its steering system.

The Airbus A330 flight QF52 was carrying 247 passengers and crew from Singapore.

Qantas says the pilot noticed a warning signal mid-flight indicating a problem with a part of the hydraulic steering system.

Ambulance and fire crews were on standby when the plane landed but it appeared to touch down safely.

Qantas says it was a minor technical problem which only affected steering on the ground and the aircraft has been towed to the international terminal.

Passenger Srini Vasan says the pilot told them there was a problem with the aircraft's nose wheel and they would be towed to the terminal once they landed.

He says he could see ambulances and fire trucks on standby but no-one panicked

"I was wondering how he was going to steer the thing before he came to a halt but I guess you can still use the rudder can't you... So I think he did a great job," he said.

Last month, 14 people were seriously injured when a Qantas Airbus A330 nose-dived over Exmouth in Western Australia last month.