PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coping with wind in the hold
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2008, 15:14
pilotmike

Received 73 Likes on 21 Posts
...an outbound heading of 004... and ... outbound leg timed at 25 seconds!.

I just tried this on Rant XL and you get ... a hold timing of just under 4 minutes despite a large overshoot requiring a big interception angle to the inbound track

So, given these figures, what I want to know is how on earth you get yourself on to the inbound track without an overshoot, while keeping to a 4 minute hold, and remaining within the constraints of the 3 x single drift 'system'?
In this example, flying outbound for longer than the 25 seconds you suggest would minimise both the problems you identified - less overshoot and a longer time for a hold nearer to 4 minutes. Using closer to the 40 seconds that I recommended would probably put you accurately onto the inbound track, whilst keeping the hold to little more than 4 minutes.

In my view, it is far better to have a slightly longer hold and be perfectly placed to intercept the inbound track than to use a greater outbound heading correction and risk messing up the inbound intercept just for the sake of a perfect 4 minute hold. It has the added advantage of keeping you within the protected area of the hold as well.

If however a perfect 4 minute hold was essential, then an outbound heading of nearer to 350 degrees for 30 seconds might well be close to optimum, though the outbound heading correction of almost 45 degrees is extreme, and risks putting you outside of the protected area. Much better, in my view, to accept a maximum 30 degree correction, and explain to whoever needs to know that the hold will be closer to 4 minuts and 20 seconds.