PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas 744 Depressurisation
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2008, 11:44
FlexibleResponse

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Possible Mechanism and Mode of Failure?

I thought it was interesting to note loose cargo partly sucked out of the hole in the fuselage. On page 22 of the preliminary report I note that the cargo loaded adjacent to the hole in the fuselage was not a container, but rather, a plasctic wrapped netted pallet of general freight.

The thought I pose is...What is the chance that during autoloading (powered floor rollers) that a partly collapsed or misshapen cargo pallet load rubbed against the curtains screening the oxgen cylinders, snagged the subject restraining clamp and unclipped it (or pulled it wholly from the structure) during the rearward movement of the subject pallet?

Furthermore, what are the chances that following loss of restraint by the clamp, that the now loose oxygen cylinder (restrained only by oxygen plumbing) was dislodged by further snagging by the pallet load under the forces generated by the powered cargo loading system thereby causing mechanical distress and damage to the oxygen piping and valve attachments on the head of the cylinder?

Only the (Hong Kong?) cargo loader would have known if the cargo fouled during loading. This type of event happens fairly often and is normally cured by loader chap reversing and backing up the pallet loading system and going at it again at speed.

I did not see any reference to any interviews with cargo loading personnel in the report?

Just pure speculation of course...but magic oxygen bottles need a head start.

Edited for clarity

Last edited by FlexibleResponse; 2nd Dec 2008 at 12:43.