PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kiwi pilot injured in plane crash in Botswana
Old 30th Nov 2008, 11:21
Propellerpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the big buddah - underlines what I posted earlier. Nobody can fire you for turning down a flight or doing a 180 to fly back home. The pilot in command stands over everybody else, including the company that he flies for exept the law, which may also be broken if it is for saftey reasons that the pilot deems necessary to protect lives. He is given these priviliges on purpose because he is personally responsible for the aircraft, souls on board and any cargo. If there is any proof of negelence of the pilot, he is liable in person and can be charged accordingly in a criminal court. Even if the company told you to fly (which they wouldn't dare to, because they like to blame everything on the pilot, if things do go wrong and neglegence was involved and insurance doesn't pay out) it is irrelavant - they will not be the ones facing criminal charges or be the ones not surviving a crash. I think a lot of young pilots do not understand the importance of this and the powers that result out of this. If they do fire you, it will be for another reason, even if they have to search hard for it.

If this pilot concerned did get into a unforseeable situation and had no way of knowing the danger, he did do the right thing and acted to the best of his/her abilities.