PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tories to look at pensions.
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2008, 08:46
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, the ever emotive issue of pensions.

The military pension trap caught me well and truly. I have to say, if it weren't for the pension at the end of the tunnel I would have left far earlier than I did.

Unfortunately those days are now over! This also applies to the private sector pension schemes as well. The tax protections given to pension funds by the last Tory government were gleefully stripped away by a young, fresh faced chancellor named Gordon Brown after New Labour took power. Over the last 10 years, under his tenure, £90 Billion in taxes have been stripped from private pension funds belonging to many of this countries blue chip firms. Oddly enough those firms are now trying to cover huge pension deficits and are closing all final salary schemes.

Whilst all of this was going on the civil service has exploded. Some might say it has been a farcical way to suppress unemployment figures. Employing useless people into useless jobs under 'exotic new politically correct names'. Each of these Quango people gets their own civil service pension.

The public debt, instead of being adequately serviced, has been allowed to explode along with the private, personal debt of many people. Whilst the Boom was going on the Government has had a gleeful, kiddie like, spending spree on rubbish that hasn't produced any results. NHS national computer system anyone? £20 Billion and it's still not here?

The military have been over abused and drastically underfunded to cover the cost of all of these 'think tanks', 'Quangos' and local council non jobs. Ineffectively managed by useless politicians who think 'tactics' are the little sweets that come out of a plastic box. Two hats Des's comment on the new T45 destroyer summed it up, 'It's twice as powerful so we only need half of them!'. Makes you cry doesn't it.

Melt down is upon us. There is no money left. My military pension added to the pension I am struggling to accrue with my new employer, in an industry where we are taxed just for existing, will just about cover a loaf of bread in 10 years. I am being taxed to death and watching it all go into the pockets of social wasters who are being told to go forth and spend! I can't, after tax and soaring energy bills I have nothing left.

Protect the military pensions, invest in the forces, they are, perhaps, the last thing in this country we have a right to be proud of.

Rant over, now wheres my coffee?