PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tories to look at pensions.
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2008, 08:04
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melch,

I draw a pension so yes.. there could be a whiff of hypocrisy about this, I accept that, but thats looking at this in the wrong light. There's not an issue of fault here.. its just the way it is. We have to plan ahead 30-40, and 70-80 years and that can only be achieved by acting very very soon. If we don't act, it'll be our grandchildren and great grandchildren and great great grandchildren who'll be asking 'what planet were those generations on?'. Having said that, as they just finish paying off the debt we've lumbered them with, I think they'll be asking that of us anyway.

Melchett said;Al R -

You're right, there is a sustainability gap in terms of public pensions, and the military ones especially. But the government - not just of today - is fully responsible for that. They are the ones that have refused to invest and have instead prefered to keep it as an unfunded commitment, for which money must be found from the budgets on an annual basis to meet its liabilities.

That this is now coming to bite them in the arse is their fault, not ours. They could have done something about it before now, but they chose not to do so. How long has pension affordability been a likely problem? Or are the current generation of politicians suddenly being taken by surprise?!!!