PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Crop-Dusters (Past/Present)?...Low Flying-Tips to stay alive?
Old 30th Nov 2008, 07:45
RansS9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Crop-Dusters (Past/Present)?...Low Flying-Tips to stay alive?

Tip no.1--Don't low fly........Okay now we've got that out the way.

Why the question?...I know my own training/experience has left me poorly skilled in manoeuvering an aircraft low to the ground. The best time to learn is probably not during a forced landing, precautionary landing, or low level circuit due to marginal weather.

Why agricultural pilots?....Because they know and because in the UK the're probable a dying breed; and with them their skills knowledge. Tornado GR4 pilots may have a view as well. Unfortunately the light aircraft I frequent don't reach 420kts...even straight down.

Specifics?....Turns at low level; height perception; dangerous visual illusions; dealing with low level turbulence; gotchas normal pilots wouldn't have even thought of. Okay if that sounds like a book it may already exist. If so could you point me in its' direction.

Thanks TIM

(Please note I'm not planning on rushing out and practising any of this stuff on my own. And no I don't wish to get an up close view of a Bae Hawk on a low level training exercise. Which brings me to my last question. Anyone know any suitably qualified/experienced instructors in the UK?)