PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tories to look at pensions.
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2008, 23:23
exscribbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Papajuliet: I don't know too much about police and firefighters returning to work after early retirement, but I do know that teachers who retire early now take a hit on their pension and lump sum entitlements. Once upon a time a teacher could retire early on ill-health and the following day start a lucrative career as a supply teacher. That was stopped by the Tories (Kenneth Baker was the SoS) and was about the only thing they did that I agreed with!

AllyPally: The TPS is unfunded because over the years HMG has used it as a cash cow to pay for other things - among which, presumably, we may find aircraft for the RAF. One of my points was just that - had the money been invested, the scheme would have been fully self-supporting; the fact that it wasn't (and therefore isn't) was caused by acts similar to Broon's raid on private pensions. While largely sympathetic to those in the situation you describe, I have to say that's not my doing; furthermore, why should we suffer just because you are? There was no invitation to join in when you were doing well, was there?

I retired at 61 after 40 years; the last year had been spent absent ill. I was one of those lucky people who enjoyed his job despite its many problems and I always intended working to 65 - PJ please note. On the other hand, had my first career choice been successful, I would have retired at 50 with a handsome gratuity and over the years would have been paid rather more than I was as a teacher. I could also have "retired" at any time to take up a well-paid job in the private sector, while retaining my original pension rights and earning even more in my second career.

Sympathetic? Only partly.

Last edited by exscribbler; 2nd Dec 2008 at 00:22.