PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coping with wind in the hold
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2008, 17:35
Upslope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it sounds a bit complicated when you first start off but...... and here's the BIG BUT!!!! You can plan all you want on the ground with the forecast wind, but you can guarantee that it will be totally different when you get up in the hold. So what I suggest is this....

Fly the RMI and use it as your primary reference with the HSI as a secondary. i.e. if you need to go right or left a bit the RMI will terll you very quickly. If on the inbound you find that you have to offset 10 degrees to the right i.e. 221 to maintain 214 then on the outbound instead of 034 use 004 (3XDrift) and adjust accordingly but as a rule of thumb this will work.

As far as the speed is concerned.... well again judge it.
for example... When on the inbound leg you cross the beacon at 3:20 as opposed to 3:00, then try taking 10 to 20 seconds off your outbound leg. In the real world we don't have the luxury of planning holds if they happen they happen! Now in most jets the computer will fly a perfect hold but on occasion you will fly something like a King Air with a U/S Auto pilot and you will have to work it out on the fly so to speak. I have always used the above method and it has always worked out for me, and I passed many a check using it. Seriously guys, people get too involved in the theory and it all goes to crap.

Don't get too bogged down in the numbers, just fly the aeroplane.
Good luck