PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coping with wind in the hold
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2008, 15:31
IrishJetdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe this is rubbish but...........

Seem to remember that the 3 gates arranged abeam, 30deg and 50deg from the upwind threshold are arranged so that it takes 30 seconds in calm air to fly in each sector. If you are too close then you'll do it in less than 30 seconds and obviously longer if wide. As others state, when adding a crosswind correction then triple the drift needed for the inbound leg when flying outbound. However, if you are extending the outbound leg in order to make an approach then make only a 1x correction for the extension otherwise you'll be miles too wide. Times for each sector are adjusted by 1 second per knot head or tail wind. The 50deg gate is where you start your turn. The question of how you are doing in the final turn is simply answered by looking at your needle in relation to the inbound QDM. With 90deg to go the needle should be 10deg above the inbound QDM and with 45deg to go it should be 5deg above. Easiest with an RMI but also works well with an RBI if you mentally place the needle on your DI. Surprisingly accurate by the way. Don't forget the dip for an NDB hold. Fly an accurate rate 1 turn.

Hope this makes sense as i've been simply selecting ENTER HOLD in the FMS for quite a while now.

Incidentally, my IR instructor's mantra of "slightly wide and slightly long - you won't go wrong" still rings in my ears and was very good advice. If you do want to make an unpublished outbound extension the ask ATC first. It proves that you know what is going on and helps prevent you infringing something you shouldn't.