PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QXC v. Skills Test - which is worse in your opinion....?
Old 4th Apr 2002, 16:53
AerBabe
High Flying Bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worse?! No no no... which was more fun! That's the attitude you should have! Since your first solo you've been a 'real' pilot, and your Qx/c and GFT are just more chances to show everyone how good you are.

Like FFF I found my Qx/c really really tiring. It was a very long hot August day, and I was asleep in the chair soon after returning to the club house. But it was good fun! My first encounter with military controllers (what a nice bunch of guys!), and with real long-distance navigation. Of course I had a few problems along the way....... But that's part of the learning process.

The GFT was like an extended lesson, although that was partly because I knew my examiner fairly well from chats at the club house. As we went along he interacted with me more as an instructor than an examiner. He would ask me what I was planning to do, then give advice if I had forgotten something, or he thought I could do it a better way. I made mistakes, but then who wouldn't under pressure? The thing is I made sure he was aware that I KNEW I'd forgotten something.

A good tip I got from my instructor were to make sure your examiner sees you doing lookouts etc. As in a driving test, accentuate your movements. Use your right arm to push the examiner back as you check right. Point to each dial as you do your on-route checks... and make sure you do them out loud!

Just go with it! As Ace Rimmer says, your instructor won't have put you forward for the test if s/he didn't think you were ready. Remember, they've been through this a few more times than you! Enjoy the day. Enjoy showing your examiner how good a pilot you've become. And most of all, enjoy the feeling when you've returned to your home airfield, completed a few circuits, have taxied back to the aircraft park, and look across to your examiner who will probably have almost a big a grin as you do. This is just the beginning!

Oh... and good luck! Make sure you post as soon as you've done it, and let us know how you did!