PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eye Height Reference Device - Boeing 737
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2008, 19:11
V1... Ooops

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boingboingdriver
...I believe looking in your aircraft systems manual...
Originally Posted by AirRabbit
...If you check the flight crew operating manuals...
I'm sorry, perhaps I should have made it clear that I don't fly a Boeing aircraft, never have and probably never will. I'm an engineering test pilot for a different type of aircraft. I specified an eye height reference device be installed in one of the aircraft I am responsible for, and one of my co-workers (who flies a 737-500) mentioned that the Boeing didn't have one. I looked at various pictures of 737-500 flight compartments and sure enough, there is no occluded sphere EHRD there.

So - in light of the fact that I have neither an actual 737-500 or a FCOM for a 737-500 handy - can anyone tell me if there is 'fixed marker or other guide' (the exact wording of the applicable FAR) installed in 737-500s to enable the pilots to ensure that they have positioned themselves at the DERP?

AirRabbit has explained that one can adjust seating appropriately by making three reference checks, and this makes a lot of sense, but does this fulfill the requirement for the 'fixed marker or other guide'?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can tell me if there is a physical 'fixed marker or other guide' in the 737-500.