PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anybody got a job recently?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2008, 13:29
davecfm56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just became an expat in Africa in order to keep flying. The pay isn't great and the living conditions are poor but at least I'm flying and gaining hours hopefully to return to the UK in a stronger position then I left.

Before I left other, more experienced pilots told me I was crazy to consider flying in Africa and now I'm here I can see why, the admin side of things is agonising and dealing with the culture shock takes time there are however, some positives. The flying is challenging but rewarding (its certainly not ILS to ILS) and its on brand new equipment, the roster is intense but that’s why I'm here, not to go seeing sights of on my days off and there’s a nice expat community developing and growing every week.

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea and if I had a choice I wouldn't be here but with training loans, a mortgage to pay and a 737 rating to maintain it’s a short term solution that allows one to weather the current storm in European aviation.

Don’t get me wrong I'm not saying this is the thing to do at all, it’s a last resort, but I just want to say there is an option for sub 1000h airline people.

Truly the best of luck to everyone job hunting. Bad times.