PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of JAA PPL's in the U.S. A ???
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2002, 15:30
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Weasley:

The point I was driving at was we are no longer flying in the world of Radio Ranges, ADF, Celestial navigation and HF radios as our only means of communication.

I may be wrong but to have seven questions on such a doubious means of determining time and distance is really stupid.

I sort of agree on the morse code thing for the identifying of radio aids, however voice idents were brought into the system as far back as the early sixties and make far more sense than morse code.

By the way when I received my instrument rating training in the 1950's we had to read morse randomly selected by the examiner before taxiing.

Having said all that I flew many, many thousands of hours IFR and never, never,never had to figure out time and distance by using an ADF to figure time and distance. I have never really flown an ADF that was accurate enough to exactly determine the real bearing of a station with any reliability.

Anyhow enough of this, are you going to make it to North Weald when we are doing the flying there?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.