PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackhawk Intake Cowl Deicing System
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2008, 06:40
212man

Received 355 Likes on 199 Posts
I suspect they are talking at cross purposes and describing different functions. I don't know the S-60 system but I would guess it's very similar to the S-92. This is the description from the RFM for engine anti-icing - you will see that both electrical and bleed air is used for different stages of the intake process:

The inlets are anti-iced by electrically (ac) powered, dual zone, heating mats imbedded in the inlets. An inlet anti-ice controller, located in each engine inlet duct, regulates the two heating mats to ensure that the inlet surface is greater than 4° C. If one zone should fail, the remaining zone will continue to function but may not be able to completely anti-ice the inlet. The INLET 1 A-ICE FAIL and/or INLET 2 A-ICE FAIL cautions illuminate when there is a problem with the electrical inlet heating mats.

The compressor inlet guide vanes and the IPS axial inlet are anti-iced by engine bleed air. The amount of engine bleed air that is routed to the anti-ice system is determined by the FADEC based on Ng and T1 (the temperature sensed at the engine inlet). The ENG 1 A-ICE DGRD and/or ENG 2 A-ICE DGRD cautions illuminate when there is a problem with the bleed air portion of the system.