PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual attitudes in real IMC
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2002, 14:04
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 226 Likes on 87 Posts
QNH - you are of course correct. I know the rules as well as the next barrack room lawyer. I was having a dig at the number of people who claim "VMC on top" when in fact those tops are 20ft below them or they are in a hole about 2 miles in diameter... I have conducted numerous IF and visual sorties above a cloud layer in perfect training conditions.

ok lets go see if we can find a gap in the clouds to do some unusual panel recoveries, we climbed through 6, 7, 8 thousand and still no blue appeared

Implies to me that a suitable gap was found and that there was an overcast layer well above.

WWW,

So would you do UA PP in solid IMC deliberately?

Not what I said or implied. Stop trying to be dramatic.

If you would then you obviously think you're a better pilot than you probably are and you're liable to be a danger to other people (I think Freud had a theory on personnalities like this).

I think and know that I am an average pilot. Always have been and always will be. If you want to get into Freudian theory with a Psychology BA then please go ahead - but its not appropraite for this forum.

If you get into difficulty, say a spin, be it a 'student' mistake, an aircraft problem etc, then I'd say your chances of survival are much better if you can identify the problem by use of a visual reference and correct it straight away, rather then either relying on the turn coordinator / ASI or waiting till you pop out the bottom 1000' above the ground to sort it out.

I was always trained by the RAF not to use a visual reference for spin recovery but to rigidly rely on your turn and slip. Visual reference can easily be misconstrued and in an inverted spin you won't have any. A turn coordinator is lethal in these situations as is the ASI. Which if you had ever taught spinning exercises you would know. Recovery from 1000ft AGL is merely a deathwish, my limit is 5000ft then its parachute time.

In the 'old' days before gyroscopic instruments they used to do IMC let downs by placing the A/C into a spin above the cloud layer, spin through and recover once through. This is all very well assuming two things....1) you know which way you're spinning....and 2) you have enough altitude below the cloud to recover....neither were present in this case.

What? In your opinion based on a posting from someone under test with hoods/foggles on? Just what would be the motivation I ask you for an examiner to push himself into a dangerous spin recovery with someone with whom he had not flown before? Why would he wish to put himself in an aircraft flown by some numpty in a spin in IMC down to a low height? NONE. So it didn't happen.

EA may be concerned. But that is not enough to start making sweeping statements about a professional pilots judgement. Particularly not from you enhlishal.

Rgds
EA