PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Lining up- Question for DJ and QF crew
Old 27th Nov 2008, 09:53
Icarus2001

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts
many of us will "swing" towards the threshold a little to increase the radius of turn to the lined-up position and reduce stress on the gear and wear on the inboard tyres.
A bit of a wider turn to line up with a micro "backtrack" is good sense to me
Capn Bloggs Can I suggest that you take out a piece of paper and DRAW what you are suggesting, it makes no sense. A "mini back track" DOES NOT "increase the radius of turn". Nor is it WIDER! The greatest RADIUS of turn is gained by turning right or left 90 degrees on to the runway. By backtracking slightly you increase the degrees to be turned through in the same available width of runway so as Capt claret says...
I can't see that a mini back track, followed by a turn of > 110 degrees can reduce tyre wear or undercarriage stresses, compared to a 90 degree turn.
The MORE degrees you turn the aircraft through THE MORE the inside bogey slows down or stops, INCREASING tyre wear!

If you have an issue lining up inside the allowance on runway 21 at Perth then I suggest you need to get out more.

By the way, does your company lineup procedure measure to the main wheels, nosewheel, pilot position or aircraft data plate back to the threshold?