PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Marshal Uses Gun to Subdue "Noncompliant" Pax
Old 13th Nov 2001, 16:43
I'd rather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

IMHO, it seems that those responsible for airline security in the US have got their priorities wrong. The "no standing up within 30 mins of landing" rule an over-reaction to the present situation to the present situation, especially if more fundamental issues are not being addressed. Is it REALLY true that luggage going into the hold isn't X-rayed?? I heard it on the news, but I'm having trouble believing it, because it seems such an obvious and fundamental point.

On a related point, a friend of mine was travelling in the US on business a couple of weeks ago, and was about to fly home (don't know which airport) when a gentleman of middle eastern appearance was asked to leave the aircraft (I don't know why - whether he was actually misbehaving, or whether as a result of hysteria by fellow pax/crew). He was taken off, BUT HIS LUGGAGE WASN'T! That would be unthinkable in Europe.

So my unhappy and frankly rather nervous friend had a rather uncomfortable flight back to the UK (have to admit, he's a braver soul than me - I think I'd have got off!)

Surely if a pax behaves/looks like a serious security threat, you take his luggage off too? Not to do so seems to me to be asking for another Lockerbie.