PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST (BHD) - 3
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2008, 22:17
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George Best Belfast City Airport

Interesting article on Belfast City Airport website saying that there is overwhelming support for runway extention from the business community. It says that most people would choose the City Airport over the International if they had the choice of destination (based on a survey).

It is amazing, I use both airports, mostly the international airport due to range of destinations but mostly because it is nearer for me. However, I really like the city airport.

What is interesting for me is that what I detect is that many people associate the city airport with small prop aircraft and the International with bigger planes going to sunny places and holidays!

But alas I get such a sense in the last weeks that Belfast City airport could be a huge thorn in the side of the International. John Doran's public statement says to me that he sees real danger for BFS if the City airports' runway is extended.

So with a growing Ryanair, a runway extention will this become a Boeing Airbus type scenario where BHD becomes as busy as BFS???

I know there are movement restrictions at BHD but if they get the planning, surely the level of movements could be upgraded too?

EI-BUD