PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIRPROX Birmingham, Police v UFO
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2008, 21:39
whyisitsohard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whyisitsohard Quote:
A model transmitter has "line of sight" range.
Thanks whyisitsohard, so the 'advice' to the Airprox board from the MFA, " saying the mystery object was flying too high to be a miniature craft," isn't correct then

Nope. The ONLY limit on vertical flight is what the pilot can see. I've had model gliders well up beyond a thousand feet. I mean WELL up beyond. Allegedly, m'lud.
Everynow and then the magazines run articles on how to calculate height using the apparent wingspan. But nowadays you go and spend 200 quid for a telemetry box and it sends all sorts of stuff down to you. With FPV flight and telemetry there is no limit, viz the UAVs being flown from the US in Afghanistan.

Last summer I shared a thermal with a fullsize glider for a while before I bottled out and left him to it - whether he saw me I shall never know. Whenever I see model planes flying I always keep a good lookout as the model pilot simply cant judge that third dimension and a face full of fourstroke engine would spoil my paintwork.

Have a look here if you want to see high flight! YouTube - Flying Model RC Aircraft Very High Into Clouds This is the US, but only because it's the first one I found.

This is FPV FirstPersonView.co.uk, Radio Control First Person View (RC FPV) equipment for Video Piloting

Night flying is a big area of the hobby, though moreso overseas where it'sm actually warm! The heli boys do it a lot over here though by putting coloured LED ropes on the models...
Cleveland Model Helicopter Club Night Flying

David