PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check out this Landing!
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2008, 20:03
vanHorck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a suspect landing gear last year en route from Austria to Fowlmere.

Called a pan and diverted to Brussels International, as it happens on the very last day they were serving Avgas at the bar.

The nosewheel held, but we had to do a flypast on the ILS first for an engineer to check the gear from the ground and vectors for a final approach, all in just 500 ft cloudbase.

It was a hell of an experience, including crew management to agree the final procedure on shutting down engines, fuel and electrics and unlatching both doors.

training took over and everything went like clockwork including both approaches and the shut down drills. We were two pilots in the front and only my girlfriend (just gone solo for her PPL) in the back. We were both so busy we didn t really have stress, just high workload, but for her it was not fun.

Brussels was brilliant, not only on the radio, but also on the ground. Fire trucks, ambulance all at the treshold.

When the gear held i rolled to the first taxiway and tried to taxi on one engine (Seneca IV) , and that was even harder than the landing!

When I had parked on the GA apron there was already an engineer present and the customs man immediately offered my girlfriend a cup of coffee.

It was a fantastic experience. All involved were brilliant. Just a shame Brussels doesn t sell avgas anymore.......