PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 11 Month Contracts- Cabin Crew
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2008, 17:33
yaletown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember back in the day when GLA, LGW, LHR, BFS, MAN and I think BHX were all mainline bases. When I was there, they slowly converted them over to subsidiaries, one by one. The only thing left is LHR WW and EF in terms of mainline. They have been slowly but steadily, widdling down the mainline crews, finally surrounding LHR. Also, back when LGW short haul became EuroGatwick, those crew had to stay there for 3 years before transferring to LHR Eurofleet (it was called LHR NBA at that time) and only then could they put in for a transfer to longhaul/jumbos, being on shorthaul at LHR. The other subsidiaries had no option to come over to mainline. Does anyone remember Flying Colours? Ayling's wife's company? where they used our 777's and flight deck and put their crews on some LGW long haul routes? It started then...BASSA for reasons I cannot remember frankly, did not block that.

I think the writing is on the wall sadly, but these temporary contracts are going to be a thing of the norm. BA and all other airlines are out to end the cabin crew career, which I am upset about, but it seems like they are all up to it. I cringe when I hear about the changes at BA, because they sound terribly North American, and I am sure you are all aware of how badly paying the industry is over there.