PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid Air Incident of 17/06/1987 - RAF Tornado GR1 ZA493 and Jaguar GR1A XZ116
Old 26th Nov 2008, 08:43
GYAKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XZ116

Hello,

I'm not the photographer who took an ejection image that day but I did photograph the whole episode post crash that day.

In a nutshell...

I was 15 at the time & subsequently a professional photographer based in London these days.

Andy Wilson - Photography

On the day my brother was saw the Tornado pile-in just past Calf Close bay by Dewentwater and I was leaving Keswick School on my way home.
On arrival at Brackenrigg in Thirlmere (hotel my folks owned & used by RAF team as parking spot for a few days after) I took the Mountain Rescue team to the site where the wreckage was still on fire - they assumed I knew the fastest point to the site given it was behind our property.

Other brief details:

2nd jag stayed overhead for a while - I guess photographing site.
Crashed Jag had a photo pod - 120 sprocket film everywhere.
Boulmer Sea King in attendance & also RN Sea King (assume Prestwick) a bit later.
My camera & film (fathers Nikon) held by the police & retuned 2 days later.
Took about 3 rolls of colour film x 36.
Post clear up & as a 15 yr old into aviation I was allowed to keep a bit of XZ116 not that I really wanted to think about it afterwards.

Jag pilot found by myself, father, local farmer & his sheepdog - obviously very unpleasant. I don't really look back on that event too often & very surprised to stumble upon this thread.
As far as I know & according to the police & RAF officers at the house I was the only one to take any photographs at the site excluding RAF investigation. Was told I was very lucky not have film taken & given back unprocessed.

Yes, pilot was Andrew Simon Mannheim aged 26.

Only witnesses to see the Jag crash were 2 blokes staying on the side of St. Johns in Vale/Beckside on the opposite side of the valley - quite a distance & didn't take photos. Plenty of people out on the Lake saw the Tornado impact.

Feel free to drop me a line - have the negs somewhere.

If you find the image you are looking for please let me know as I'd be interested in seeing it & would expect the photographer was standing on Blea fell.

Ps If anyone wants a M-Baker seat (dismantled but pretty complete) - was in XE624 let me know. Needs collecting in the Lakes.