PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA Cessna 180's in PNG
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2008, 08:35
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mates rates it was one and the same aircraft.

Simbu Aviation owned it when I flew it in 87 and it was crashed fatally in about 93 not far from Kundiawa. Simbu had originally bought P2-MFX but it was ground looped at Mt Hagen during the endorsement of Simbu's first pilot and they then bought BAF - and hired a different pilot.

MFX was sitting in a shed in the Simbu Holdings compound, where we all lived, with its wings off in 87. It was eventually purchased by Mac Lee and I flew it a bit. MFX was sold after Mac was killed in his 402 near Kamina and was exported to Oz.

MFX's sister ship MFU was bought by Brian Bromley and returned to the air for use by his hunting/fishing lodge at Bensbach. I did a few hours or 20 in it at that time. It too was crashed, in the Western Provence, flipped upside down going off the end of a strip - I believe it was exported and is under restoration in Oz too.

All my pictures of BAF were destroyed by the volcanic eruptions in Rabaul collapsing my house in 1994.

Here is one of MFU during recovery of P2-DEQ/G-BTSM from a bingle at Arufi in the Western Province.