PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 25th Nov 2008, 18:58
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Stuart955,
The reason that you've been treated well on this site is that you have appeared reasonable, humble, articulate and honest. Some of the "wannabees" that lurk on these pages have attitudes, chips and are fully paid up members of the "I deserve it" club.

I followed a classic ATC/Flying Scholarship/UAS route into the RAF, however, some of the most outstanding aviators I've met in the past 17 years have been "walk-ins" into a CIO.

The quality of a Sqn mate is his/her ability to do the job, muck in when required and "take one for the team" when necessary. An ability to tell a Halifax from a Lancaster is "nice to have".

My advice (albeit from Biggin Hill days....) is be yourself, be honest what you put in the application form (because you will be questioned on it), do some background reading (aircraft, roles, stations, likely training courses) and brush up on your current affairs. Some time overseas is excellent if it is meaningful.

Now, final bit of advice. Before you ask any further questions on this forum do some googling first...

Best of luck!