PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 25th Nov 2008, 15:02
binsleepen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Splash!!!! 2

Hi all

I have also just received that magic call from Ms AC and am now in the hold pool. I would like to say a big thanks to those who have posted usefull hints and tips on the selection procedure, particularly Pilotess(#944), Dick Deadeye (#950) and Evian (1030).

My sim day started with about 30 minutes of admin with the HR people going over reference details before being picked up by the training captain. He then gave us a very comprehensive brief on the aircraft using a cardboard cockpit and powerpoint presentation. He gave us the choice of who went first, we couldn't decide so tossed a coin. There didn't seem to be any master scheme as the original routing we were given was changed when the correct TAPs were not in the folder.

You get a quick practice before the main event which involves a T/O and climb and then the sim is reset to 12 miles for an ILS. My flying leg included a SID from EDN into the cruise for a NDB - ILS at NEW. I can't stress how important CRM is. My flying was shocking, although I did get better towards the end, and I felt my capacity was really reduced by my unfamilliarity with the switchery. My sim partner flys 75s/76s and his help was invaluable. We arrived at NEW hot and high and although we were given the option of going immediately outbound for the procedure I took the decision to join the hold, get an intermediate descent and complete the checks in good order before starting the Alt Procedure.

My partner flew a NEW SID to a BIR STAR for another ILS. We got some questions based on ATC requests for ETAs at POL etc which involved some mental maths using the groundspeed readout and DTG. We had the opportunity to debrief and honesty is definitely the best policy. I doubt that there is much that the assessor misses. Pick a couple of mistakes and say how you would avoid them next time. CRM is key 'it is not about being nice but effective' but I gave a huge thanks to my partner who was vital to my success and I tried to be similarly helpful to him. His knowledge of the switchery was a god send.

More generally the pilot recruiter stated categorically that there were no courses planned for anyone in the hold pool but that the 12 month limit was to be reviewed in Jan with a possible extension to 18 months.

Thanks again for all the good posts on a great thread

Regards

still sleepen