PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2008, 14:14
jualbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About Ardiles-Hale/Penfold:

There are reports from British side about a second Dagger. in fact Rubio flight was a lone Dagger (the second had technical failures prior to take off). But I have a report from another lone Dagger that day. He was Captain Díaz. The pilot you downed on 24th may. He flew a mission with a radio call sign "Fierro". He had the same problem with his wingman that Ardiles. He took off alone.

I don´t know the exact time of his flight but he informed about an interception of an unkown air target over Darwin. I put his words in spanish and will try to translate:

"Cuando me encontraba nuevamente sobre las islas a las cuales pude distinguir a través de un orificio en las nubes (vi el Canal San Carlos y la zona de Darwin) el operador me informó de un ataque aéreo que el enemigo realizaba -con los Sea Harrier- sobre Puerto Argentino."
"When I was overflying the islands again, which I could see through a gap in the clouds (I saw Falkland Sound and Darwin area), the air controller informed about an air attack by Sea Harrier on Stanley."
"Le pregunté si me dirigía hacia allí, respondiéndome negativamente porque los incursores se encontraban dentro del sector de nuestra defensa antiaérea."
"I asked him if I had to go there, answering me not to go cause attackers were in the air defense engagement zone."
"Seguidamente me alertó sobre la presencia de un eco que se dirigía hacia mí, desde el Sureste a gran velocidad y tomando altura. El mismo fue detectado cuando se encontraba a 18 millas, giré hacia el Sur para adoptar un rumbo de colisión y mantuve una altitud de 26.000 pies, acelerando para 450 nudos, me dediqué a observar los instrumentos por última vez antes del cruce y con aprensión descubrí que no me quedaban más de 5 minutos de combustible para llegar al mínimo nivel requerido para el largo regreso."
"Shortly he advised me about an echo heading to me from the SE raising at
high speed. It was detected 18 miles away and I turned south to take an interception course keeping my height at 26000 feet and increasing the speed to 450 knots, while I looked at my instruments for last time before the cross, noticing that I hardly had 5 minutes of fuel remaining to get the bingo status necessary for the long way back."
"Cuando nos separaban (con el o los incursores) unas 8 millas y estando unos 3.000 pies más arriba que él, decidió, abandonar la entrada en combate, probablemente porque no tenía una posición ventajosa; lo cierto es que descendió rápidamente hasta que nuestro radar perdió su eco."

"When I was separated (from him or them) around 8 miles and flying 3000 feet higher, he decided to abort the combat, probably for not being in a better position; anyway he went down fastly until our radar lost its echo."
"Me esforcé en tratar de visualizarlo, sin perder mi ventajosa altura, pero no lo logré, en esto escuché la voz del controlador que me preguntaba cuánto tiempo más podría permanecer sobre las islas, contestándole que había llegado el momento de regresar por falta de combustible."
"I tried to look for him without going down from my better upper position but couldn´t find it, when listened the air controller voice asking me how long I could stay over the islands, answering him that it was time to come back due fuel lack."
"Me deseó buena suerte y me dio el rumbo a casa; ascendí hasta el nivel óptimo para el regreso y concebí, durante el largo retorno esta equivocada idea: los ingleses rehuyen el combate aéreo."
"He wished me good luck and told me the home course; I went up to my optimal fly level to come back and thought, during my long way back, this wrong idea: English refused the air combat."
"Algunos días más tarde sufriría la propia experiencia de ser derribado, junto a toda mi escuadrilla por dos aviones Sea Harrier, cuando yo estaba por atacar la cabeza de playa de Puerto San Carlos."
"Some days after this I would suffer in my own the experience of being downed with all my flight by two Sea Harriers when were in an attack mission against the beach head."

It would be interesting to know the exact time of this mission. Some times, the overfly of Stanley airport was considered by air controllers as an air attack. This lonely flight didn´t happen during the early morning attacks by Sea Harrier against Stanley runaway by Sea Harrier, so the mention to it is probably the case I say.

If you keep in contact with captain Díaz perhaps he can confirm the time of this encounter.

Regards

PS: the link you asked:
http://www.radarmalvinas.com.ar/desc...facsimiles.pdf
Page 18 of the PDF document

Last edited by jualbo; 25th Nov 2008 at 17:00.