PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to find the cheapest GA Flying Training in Aus for PPL
Old 25th Nov 2008, 09:08
povopilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mate, My advice would be to go some airfield's and meet the people that will be teaching you instead of just looking at the hourly rate in the glossy little brochure that they hand you.

I am currently paying around $290 per hour ex gst for a 172N and slightly more for a 172S and Arrow. I couldnt care less as i know that the instructors are always there for a chat, even for a few hours if need be, and i don't need to pay landing fees or membership or any other rubbish that some other schools seem to charge.

They are also more than happy to lend texts, documents and equipment as needed for no charge. Also being able to go for a spin with the CP or CFI anytime i want makes life a lot easier.

Shop around and don't go looking for the cheapest what ever you do. I did a few lessons in an RAA aircraft and would much rather pay a bit more straight up for an old clapper Cessna that at least has Navaids, Multiple Comm's and feels like it might give you some chance of surviving a fudged X/Wind landing.

Also - If they seem like a bunch of twats, then they most likely are a bunch of twats. There's plenty of them out there waiting for your money mate, don't give it to them!

povopilot