PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - new suburb very close to Geelong airport
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2008, 08:22
John Walters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To those concerned about the Geelong Airport.

Yes the airport has already been sold to developers as it is in the middle of the proposed new Geelong suburb and is currently being operated under lease which will cease within two years.

Fortunately the alternative is only 5nm to the east, formerly the troubled Barwon Heads Airport which will have new ownership and expansion within the early new year. I understand deposits have been paid with the balance in January.

I have been told the new name will be Geelong/Surfcoast Airpark and will be accommodating those affected by the Geelong closure.

I also hear from a reliable source that the new entity already have plans in place and the Geelong Council have approved a substantial increase for building of new hangars.

I also hear that discussions are taking place to upgrade the airport and runway and its facilities as it is close to Geelong and the Surfcoast and can continue to operate wiothout having residential development for decades to come.

I understand the new ownership group have saved the airport from a take over from parachute interests who wanted a skydive site only which would have meant that the closest airfield to Geelong would have been 40 minutes out of town near toward Ballarat.

Congratulations to those involved and lets hope the project is successful for the sake of all aviators. A geat place to visit and fly the coast.