PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual attitudes in real IMC
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 21:29
Jepp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unusual attitudes in real IMC

This is a question that keeps popping up in my mind every now and then, and it started about four years ago when I was doing an IMC renewal flight test.

I had a flight test booked the day before I was due to go on holiday, and my usual routine was to have one or two hours dual refresher training a few days before the test.

On the day of the actual flight test the cloudbase was 1000ft ish, great I thought, wont need the screens up today, so off we went on the renewal.

After doing all the usual stuff my examiner said " ok lets go see if we can find a gap in the clouds to do some unusual panel recoveries, we climbed through 6, 7, 8 thousand and still no blue appeared, so he said "right,well do them here" I said" I thought it was illegal to do practice ones in real IMC " he replied "well you want to do the test dont you? " So he pulled out some sticky pads and placed them over the AI and put the aircraft in some REALLY bad attitudes to which I successfully recovered !

I know that if I was uncomfortable with anything that I should of said NO, but in the situation that I was, I went along with it, wrongly in hindsight, but there you go.

Was the examiner breaking the rules by doing this part of the test in IMC, or is legal ?