PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2008, 16:52
kwb911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RB84

The wage for a cadet is lower than for a DEP so the cost is not any more. Check easy jet web site DEP vs Cadet.

The way I look at it is that your bond and basic training fee pays CTC for your training. The airline pays for the type rating but they get a cheap pilot for 6 months as they do not pay you a salary. If they are happy with you after your line training a finders fee is paid to CTC which gives them their profit and pays for the £1000 per month you was paid by CTC during line training. The airline then pays you a reduced salary until you bond is paid off.

If you go to BA you enter on the DEP salary but pay the bond back from your own money. There is a tax benefit for the Easyjet method of cadet salary and bond payment which helps a little. I believe the costs are similar on both schemes but just broken down in a different way.

If you go the ICP route you will not get the AQC course and the possibility to go onto airline training (When times are good and the ATP scheme is open you could apply to this and as a CTC trainee I guess you would be in a good position) So far the AQC and advanced training has been guaranteed for all cadets passing the intermediate training CPL/IR.

Bottom line is that the training with CTC is very good, cadets get CPL/IR AQC and to date 100% placement with an airline. I believe for what you are paying the scheme gives you much more than other integrated FTO's.

Not getting into the modular vs integrated discussion, as this is up to the individual to work out what is best in the current climate.