PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Lining up- Question for DJ and QF crew
Old 24th Nov 2008, 11:53
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I was under the impression that the yellow taxi line was there to indicate the path for aircraft LEAVING the runway while those entering the runway should do so in a way to maximise the TORA.
Sure, but when cleared 'line up, be ready immediate' the last thing I want to see is the bloke in front back tracking. Even if it's not a 'be ready immediate' you can still minimise runway occupancy (and wear and tear on the tyres and gear) by not doing a right angle turn but using a more gradual turn onto the runway. Even if someone doesn't follow the lead in/ lead off lines then they can still be a lot quicker than the mini-back track takes.

Green Gorilla, doing a mini back track (turn to the left) and then a 120 degree turn on full lock back the other way is going to do a lot more to reduce the life of the tyres and gear than just doing a nicely rounded turn in the one direction.

Mr Buzzy may be close to the money although I have seen them at other times. He's probably also on the money as to the reasons why!

tinpis, classic!