PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clearances for VFR in ADF control zones
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2008, 10:33
RAAFASA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clarification

Sorry folks, I know my last post was way too long, but just want to clarify the following response:
Quote: (mine)

We wanted to create a local rule whereby we could just pass traffic (on the grounds that before the IFR acft hits the chopper - he would have already hit the treetops/ pwr lines!) This was rejected by a pilot (most agreed, but there was one dissenting squadron).
(response to above) I have spoken to many military air traffic controllers about the enlightened procedures which take place in the UK, Canada and the USA, most would like to bring those procedures in, however they tell me that the total resistance to change and concrete mindedness of those in authority stop this from happening.
Just wanted to point out that it was not "those in authority" in the military that rejected the reduced sep agreement. Management both at base and wing level supported it. It was just a pilot who felt that safety would be compromised if he was afforded less than full IFR sep.

As he was the only dissenter, I'm still hoping to talk him round and prove my point that he is in more danger from the trees than the chopper, but, at the end of the day, he's the one in the danger zone and I'm in the comfy chair providing a service - so he wins.
(And btw it wasn't one of the AMB based squadrons dissenting, they were quite supportive).

Back to the thread topic, my experience has been that VFR transits through mil airspace (DN, TL, RIC, AMB) are facilitated wherever possible with minimum disruption. We do have to prioritise IAW local procedures and some mil flying activity requires exclusive use (not normal training, IAPPs etc - but the tactical stuff) because, frankly, the pilot workload is high enough without them having to "see or be hit" or comply with further restrictions to avoid an incident.

I was lucky enough to get a jolly in a hornet a couple of years ago ( went supersonic, practiced avoiding and engaging manouvres and went low level - 250ft - "croc spotting") and it really opened my eyes to the physical and mental demands the pilots face. I could barely keep up with instructions being issued and I didn't have to also keep us airborne at the same time! So trust me, some times, you just have to go around, over, under or wait to let these guys learn/practise their thing.