PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai Bankrupt?!?!
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2008, 08:38
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The magic phrase in that press release is
one strong nation
Incredibly important "first venture" of a piece of news preparing the public for what will soon become a reality. That phrase, and others like it, will be carefully dropped into the future press releases over the next weeks to remind us all, but particulary Dubai's Emariti population, that it doesn't really matter who owns the family farm, Dubai or Abu Dhabi, as we "are all the same".

Judging by the way many of the local Dubai Emariti population reacted to Shk Mo's selling off Dubai's independent defence force to Abu Dhabi's control in return for the twin towers - how many years ago is that now? - (some really unhappy campers at the time, by it's all water under the bridge now), it's going to be a hard sell that will need to be skilfully sold over the next few months. (And with National Day just a week away, what better time of the year to start?)

I think we all wish we could share the optimism expressed by Oblaasop. However, I think the adage for the moment for any Dubai resident should probably be: "Hope for the best - but be prepared for the worst." If even half of what we're currently hearing turns out to be true, I suspect it's going to get ugly in places.