PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Pitts Jockeys?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 18:06
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitts Specials - every family should own one!

I only have just over one hundred hours in Curtis' design ( circa 70 single seat and and 35 in the two hole model).

I had about 200 hrs tailwheel time before trying to land the Pitts and although it is a typical tail wheel aircraft it all happens a lot quicker than say a Cub or Chippie. Transition trg on the S2A Pitts was about 7 hours for me then I flew the single seater.

Forward vis flying is fine - it is just preytty poor when the nose is high (landing or on take off).

I always fly the single seater with a 'chute, the S2 depends on whether the pax wants to do aeros or not.

All Pitts' have fuel gauges - the single seaters have a sight tube on the right hand side of the control panel and the S2A has a smart little gauge on top of the tank. Haven't flown a B model from the rear in over a year so honestly can't recall how it is gauged! Transponders in the certified versions but not on the permit single seaters that I fly.

To rent an S2A you are looking at £150 - £180/hr

To campaign a single seater for 50 hrs a year on a permit something in the region of £70/hr - if you were in a group that would decrease a lot as you'd all share the fixed costs.

differences - the two seater is far less "frantic" than the single seater and is easier to aerobat and to land as you have the wing ahead of you which makes for a great reference.

Landing the two seater from the rear is probably the easiest place to land any of them from as the vis is far better.

Hope that helps. Enjoy flying with AC - he is very good.

stik