PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clearances for VFR in ADF control zones
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 21:46
Hugh Jarse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Jabawocky,
From my little part of the world I've observed the following (which is probably systemic, rather than individual and NOT taking a shot at military ATC). This being observed over 14+ years of operating into YWLM:

1. Apparent lack of appreciation of standard turboprop descent profiles, leading to excessive intermediate descent limitations at altitude. Such limits then requiring extra manoeuvring/track miles (and higher workload to both the ATCO and aircraft crew);

2. Apparently poor capability to handle a moderate number of IFR's compared with civil ATC;

3. Excessively long co-ordination times (on the ground), ie. getting a release. Understandable when there is a recovery under way, but more often than not there was maybe 1 or 2 other civils in the airspace (see point 2).

4. Late (and sometimes "unusual") changes to clearances when on Approach/TWR.

Overall, I had "less confidence" in the system when operating IFR under military ATC. Make of that what you will.

As I mentioned previously Jabawocky: I'm not taking a swipe at the ATCO's, merely posting my observations over the past decade or so. Once again I reiterate I NEVER had a problem when operating VFR via the lanes.