PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Glass Cockpit!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 19:45
EN48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EN48, could you not get any more MFD's in there?

Could you elaborate on your layout, and how you came to that configuration?
Yes - there is room for several more on seat rail mounts similar to the Garmin 696. However, enough is enough.

Layout is mostly dictated by placement of the Chelton equipment, which are certified in the positions shown. The lay out of the lower stack mostly follows conventional practice, with audio panel at top, two nav/coms (actually 1 nav/com and 1 com) and xponder. The location of the Garmin GMX 200 at the bottom was driven by two considerations: due to the sloping panel in the pedestal, this unit could not be mounted as high as one might like. Also, since this is used more for info incidental to flight, I decided that having the audio panel and coms closer to the line of sight might be better. The Garmin 696 is attached via a RAM mount to an existing seat rail, along with the Globalstar phone. I didnt want to use any kind of permanent mount (requiring drilling of holes, and possibly FAA 337 approval) and this pretty much dictated the seat rail mounting. This can be easily removed in less than 30 sec. All other equipment is mounted in the standard Enstrom recommended locations.

I have been very pleased with this seup. Everything works as advertised. At the time this configuration was spec'd, The Chelton system did not support NEXRAD wx, so that drove the addition of the Garmin GMX200. I would have preferred a more integrated suite with one manuf supplying all or most of the bits, but ther was no such option then (and still) certified.

Recently completed Instrument-Helicopter rating in this ship and it all worked quite nicely. The check pilot insisted on flying a number of approaches himself, with me providing a bit of dual on the avionics. Took a lot of the pressure off!