PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DAB personal radio
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 18:35
BEagle

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts
I've just checked the DAB rception guide for my postcode.

The only stations I can 'definitely' receive are Planet Rock, Classic FM, talk sport and Absolute radio. 3 other commercial stations have already seen the light and closed.

As for the BBC? Listed as 'fairly likely' to receive BBC1-4, plus 5 live, 6 music (for people 'passionate about pop and rock'......), BBC 7 ('comedy, drama and children's programmes'), 1Xtra ('new black music'), BBC Asian network and BBC World Service........

OK, I listen to Radio 2 and Radio 4 occasionally, but mainly to local commercial FM, such as the excellent Jack FM (JACK fm Oxfordshire : playing what we want ).

Who did the audience research for the nonsense of DAB? Because it offers absolutely nothing which cannot be found on conventional VHF/FM. Classic FM needs a wide bandwith and Planet Rock needs a large dynamic range and good bass response. None of which is available on DAB - government greed has savaged the bit rate in an attempt to squeeze the few DAB channels into the minimum slice of RF spectrum. Big mistake - it sounds appalling.

I also note that 3 transmitters planning to broadcast DAB are no longer going to be commissioned. That seems like the writing on the wall to me....

DAB - Dismal Arrogant Bull$hit. It will never succeed - us oldies have our preferred analogue stations and digi-yoof prefers its iPod. So who really wants DAB - except for Greedy Gordon and the RF spectrum thieves.