PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The appalling ignorance of Journalists....
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 18:29
Vox Populi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vox Populi View Post
PN, This is a serious accusation (the BBC Midlands fake story), care to shed any further light on the subject? I will look into it as I cannot find any note on the BBC file.

PN:
The talk we had was under CHR so perhaps I said too much.
Then it's not true.

These stories banded about in Military PR briefs are ten a penny. No doubt you've all heard about the journos in GW1 (and updated for GW2) who look bewildered when the NBC kits went on around them, because they left theirs in the hotel. That story isn't true either.

There is a cliched, inaccurate view of the media that pervades much of the miltary media training. It does great harm to what can be a normal, working relationship in my opinion.

VP:
As for the Vietnam girl, she is Kim Phúc (now living in Canada I believe). She was napalmed by the South Vietnamese on the 8th June 1972 during an attack on North Vietnamese forces in Trang Bang. If you care to tell her she wasn't, be my guest. To my knowledge the only person who has ever doubted the veracity of the picture was Richard Nixon, so you're in good company.

PN:
It is not the veracity of the picture but of the story that I was refering to. The image, as far as I can check, is unvarnished. What varied was the way it was cropped and presented.
[/QUOTE]

But the picture is of that event, no one seriously doubts that (as I said, apart from Nixon). Were you told that in a military PR briefing? I really dispair at the crap that is passed around. No wonder you have no time for the press.

The culture difference here is massive. In a newsroom if you make some sort of statement about a picture or tell a story about reporters in theatre, people immediatley want to know what your source is and where the story came from - how many of you ask that of your 'Media trainer' when they trot out these great sounding, but apocryphal stories.

VP