PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash Of BOAC Stratocruiser ~ G-ALSA 25-12-54 ~ Prestwick
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 17:28
maumal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prestwick crash

That was the final determination. Although it might be interesting to note that the runway lights at Prestwick were under repair at the time but BOAC (unlike Pan Am who would not let their crew fly into Preswick with no lights) insisted on the flight going ahead.
My father accepted full responsibility for the flight but as I have not read the transcripts of the 8 days of hearings I cannot say for certain what concerns he he had. I do know that he was far beyond his allowable hours in terms of time on duty because of undercarriage problems forcing him to come back to Heathrow for repairs and that when asked if he wanted to call in another crew at 1 am on Christmas morning he declined. Knowing my father it was because he felt it would be very hard for a crew to be called in at that time on that particular day. A decision that through a terrible event led to much tighter rules regarding time on duty.
Thanks everyone for there contributions
Malcolm Stewart

Last edited by maumal; 24th Nov 2008 at 00:04.