PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Diverter.
Thread: Fuel Diverter.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 12:58
fernytickles

Life's too short for ironing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before you go getting all technical, have you considered the ambient conditions? I keep reading about "arctic conditions" being reported in the UK yesterday. A noticable drop in temperature can make for a noticable increase in the amount of priming required to start the engine, whether primed by an electric fuel pump, or a manual primer. It can also make for an increased chance of an engine fire due to over priming, so lots of things to be cautious about.

Good luck, hope you get back in the air soon.

An add-on after reading smarthawke's post. I've found that a really good way to get to know my aeroplane was to be there when maintenance work was done, especially the annual. I'm am very fortunate to have a great engineer who encourages me to be there, infact grumbles if I'm not. I'm allowed to do the really hi-tech things like remove and replace the inspection panels (!), but am there to observe and learn while he does serious stuff. I'm still not comfortable doing even basic maintenance work on the plane on my own, but I feel I have a much better understanding of my aeroplane (tho' others may disagree....) and can, occasionally, describe any issue to him in quite technical detail...instead of "its making a funny noise"....

Books are great, but hands on experience can't be beat.

Last edited by fernytickles; 23rd Nov 2008 at 15:16.