PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The appalling ignorance of Journalists....
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 10:45
Vox Populi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Then there was that Pulitzer photograph of the young Vietnam girl running naked from a mis-directed US air strike. Except it was a Vietnamese scripted fire-power demo that went slightly wrong. One clue is the casual nature of the two Vietnamese soldiers strolling away from the explosion. Another clue is if you examine the images on the web. The impact from the one that is closest cropped supports the story. The one that is nearest to full frame another.

There was also a fake report by BBC East Midlands Today on the first day of the first Op Fresco. They had only one or two outside broadcast cameras yet they purported to show the military taking over in several towns across the region. There was no camera available in Birmingham.

The reporter, on her own initiative, got two off-duty squaddies and drove them to Pebble Mill. They were instructed to walk about in the car park 'waiting for a shout'. Meanwhile she did her 'news' item to a camera on a lead out of a window.
PN, This is a serious accusation (the BBC Midlands fake story), care to shed any further light on the subject? I will look into it as I cannot find any note on the BBC file.

As for the Vietnam girl, she is Kim Phúc (now living in Canada I believe). She was napalmed by the South Vietnamese on the 8th June 1972 during an attack on North Vietnamese forces in Trang Bang. If you care to tell her she wasn't, be my guest. To my knowledge the only person who has ever doubted the veracity of the picture was Richard Nixon, so you're in good company.

If there is as much truth on the BBC accusation, you are 2 for 0, which is a pretty good strike rate for someone criticising the accuracy of news reporting.

VP