PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The appalling ignorance of Journalists....
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 10:35
dallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's institutional in the military to think journo=trouble, unless a story is naturally positive and/or of use as good PR. Anything else is dangerous.

One of the principle reasons is the otherwise gagged military man, often knowledgeable in classified information and armed with personal opinions, is faced with a one-way portal to the unfamiliar world of free speech, controlled by a journo gatekeeper who he has probably only just met. Once the words leave airman's mouth he loses control of them, and cannot redress any misrepresentation with anything like the same coverage in which he may be originally exploited. It's the same for non-military types who meet the press, except civilians can generally speak freely and/or sue if they are wronged.

Common sense also needs to prevail. My instinct, even though I haven't met him, would be to essentially trust Jacko, while journos from Flight, Eastern Daily Press and The Sun all have different motives (and readers' attention spans) to cater for. That said, the military/MoD are inundated with monday morning quarterbacks - the Iranian iPod captives story being a very recent and extreme example - where every word is regurgitated and re-examined; even if I was quoted as saying "I love being in the RAF", someone would undoubtedly query why I didn't say 'Royal Air Force' in full - that's todays litigious world.

But going back to the original point, as Jacko says, every trade has unscrupulous people, and the best defence is common sense. Don't say unqualified, stupid things to people you don't know, and blacklist violators. In the mean time don't expect The Sun to be interested in Tornado radar upgrades for anything other than a government-wasting-money story, nor expect JDW to want to know about piss-ups in Afghan. As an extra line of defence, if you do worry about misquotes, why not tape the interview yourself and/or ask for a draft article - I don't see why a reasonable publication would object, while a dodgy one, not wanting you to tape things, should only cause shields-up, surely?