PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ten to be indicted over TAM crash
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 07:22
GlueBall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain clark y . . . I am not from another planet. I fly 74s and I have four (4) thrust levers in the palm of my hand upon flare and touchdown; whether CAT-IIIB autoland/AT or VMC flying manual. I'm not looking at instruments during the flare and touchdown phase; I'm looking outside, at the centerline or centerline lights, rain or shine.

Ensuring that the thrust levers are closed/retarded to idle detent is done instinctively, exclusively by feel.

I can also feel by the seat of my pants . . . the onset of even a subtle application of auto brakes, [brake pressure commensurate with reverse thrust], and I can feel the onset of decelaration . . . even with rain bouncing off the windscreen and wipers whacking back and forth . . . all that without any clues from instruments.

And if there is no immediate feel of decelaration, I get on the brakes manually; without first having to think, without first having to check any settings, switches or instruments. It's just common sense, basic survival "stay'n alive" instinct.

The two TAM captains, in opposite seats had successfully landed during their previous sector with the same reverser DMI'd. For reasons unknown and unexplainable, the operating captain of this sector obviously did not have both thrust levers in the palm of his hand because he had failed to retard No.2 thrust lever.

This bizarre, elementary breakdown of human performance could be due to lack of training, lack of work discipline, lack of common sense, lack of survival instinct, or temporary insanity.