PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life insurance Issues
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 00:49
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Shop insurance companies and brokers. Pilots are generally very poorly treated by each, but a few companies are just fine. I was insured no problem for life 12 years ago. The premium was less than an otherwise equal land going person who smoked (though a bit higher than a very safe home maker).

When another broker tried to take over the policy two years ago, he was stonewalled by the underwriters. It was impossible for another company to take up this insurance, so the original company happily insured me just a little longer than the rest of my life, for the same premium, knowing that I test fly both fixed and rotor wing. No restrictions, no additional premiums.

Funny enough, as I am also a volunteer firefighter, I am separately insured for that. That insurer will not cover me at all for flying. The agent just about fell over when he was told by the Chief that I fly my plane for the fire department (searches). Even though I was acting as a firefighter while flying, no insurance! That comapny thinks that flying is more dangerous than walking into burning buildings. I told all of my fellow firefighters in his presence, that if I was killed in my plane, to pull be out, and drive a fire truck over me!

I guess they have the stats, I don't!

Shop around, good luck. What you're asking for is reasonable...

Pilot DAR